I wanted to put together a place where I could work on my music. A dedicated area that would be organized and fit my workflow. I spent several months thinking about what I wanted. I looked online to see what was available. I took "virtual studio tours to try to get some ideas. I looked at workstation manufacturers. Finally, I drafted up some plans for what I wanted, and went off to the local hardware store to buy materials.
The follow pictures show the progression spanning several months.
Due to time constraints,
I was only able to work on it a few hours a week. Many of those hours
were spent in redesign, trying new ideas, planning how to integrate new things
I had seen. It certainly wasn't an efficient process... but it was
exactly the process I wanted. In addition to wanting a space to house
my kit, I wanted a project that I could work on with my hands and allow to
evolve creatively. I am pretty excited because I have reached a point
where the desk is usable.
Everything you see here started as
flat wood. The racks (black cabinets) were all fabricated and built by
me. I was very pleased with how they turned out. On the whole,
I am please with this project to date, and look forward to adding to it.
In the werx: I still need to finish the bottom two cabinets (which hold
the thing up). I also plan on adding a cable routing system,
integrated electric, integrated usb and firewire, some sliding spaces to
hold additional gear, and anything else my brain conjures up.